Monday, March 31, 2008

I'm Gettin' the Band Back Together & a Monday Meme!

These are the words my husband spoke several weeks ago. Are you excited for me? How cool is this? Well. Sit back down. It isn't quite what you think. First, let me tell you what prompted this exclamation.

His hair. Yeah. His hair. You see, T maintains a rather low profile, not-quite-a-yuppy, standard issue men's haircut. He doesn't highlight his tips, punk out the top, or use any hair product at all as a matter of fact. So, just what is he doing? He's growing it out. Nearly a month in and he is now sporting a few different looks:

The HOFF
(when he puffs it out--he thinks it looks "so cool")
or a slightly shorter version of this
The Cassidy
(minus the shiny blue skintight pants)
Oh, and then sometimes he does this:
The Fonz

I think he thinks I am embarrassed by his new look. He would take great pride in that. Nope. After nearly 12 years of marriage, he just gives me something else to laugh about.

However.

He has developed the most annoying habit of combing his hair. First, he does it all the time. He doesn't do it because he cares about how he looks (I swear, he really doesn't--I kinda like that about him--a humble fella). He does it because it annoys me to no end. You see, he combs his hair the way other people mow their lawn. I can still see the comb lines. And worse yet, he'll do it over and over and over and over again. I've taken to hiding his wide-tooth combs. But, it is to no avail as he has just purchased a pack of 12.

So, back to the whole band thing.

I asked him why he decided to grow out his hair. "Dude," he replied rather smugly while combing his hair, "I'm getting the band back together." The band?

Well, if he is referring to his high school marching band where he played the trombone while marching on soggy fields during half time, well then, all the power to ya. Dream away . . .

**********************************************

Woo hoo! I have been tagged by Karen (AKA JakeandEllie'sMom) at I Invented Motherhood to do a book meme - she knew that as an English teacher I MUST be reading something. Try SIX somethings (and gettin' nowhere fast--my ADD is kicking in). I'm reading a book about how to help you child sleep better, a book about changing your thoughts and changing your life (by Dr. Wayne Dyer--I'm nowhere with that book, a personal finance book by Jean Chatzky (it was from the library and I found a dollar in it! I kid you not!), the memoir Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster, Eat This, Not That (very cool--lots of pictures), and an investing book.

Many of you have done this before, so this is nothing new--here are the rules:

  • Pick up the nearest book of at least 123 pages.

  • Open the book to page 123.

  • Find the 5th sentence.

  • Post the next 3 sentences.

  • Tag 5 people.
Page 123 of Change Your Thoughts Change Your Life, the fifth sentence and next three (or so) are:
"You will know that circumstances don't determine your state of mind, for that power rests with you. When you maintain a peaceful inner posture, even in the midst of chaos, you change your life. The wisdom of this verse of the Tao Te Ching prompts you to know that you have a choice. Do you want to be in a state of confusion or to have tranquil inner landscape? It's up to you!"

*Hmmm...may need to read more.

Have you done this one yet? If not, consider yourself tagged!

42 comments:

Pam said...

I just did this one today too....at least it was easy! ;) That is too funny about the hubby's hair!

I have to figure out how to arrange my google reader so that I can visit my favs (like you!!) first and then the others if I have time and if not, save those.

Lori said...

that is too funny! men are so weird

Misty said...

Now if we were speaking of my husband, it would be his side burns..... should they be short, should they be long, should they be groomed or bushy.... He's sported big old chops for a year or so now. Lovely. Good luck with that hair do!

KG said...

If he does a mohawk, he's my hero.

Anonymous said...

This is one of the things I'm loving about being married a long time - we know exactly what pushes the buttons of the other, and do things because we find it amusing to irritate the spouse, just to see the other respond the same way they've been responding to the same thing for the past ten years.

Glad you did the meme! Thanks for playing along.

tommie said...

I did this a while back...

But the shot of Shawm brought back fond memories!

Aunt Becky said...

I'm pretty sure that I just wet my pants reading about your husband's hair. Thanks, dude, I needed that.

Melissa said...

that book tag is interesting to see what people have next to them!

Karen MEG said...

FUNNY about the hair! Hair is a constant source of amusement in thus household as well.
That's a neat book meme too, haven't seen that one before. If I can remember where I left the book I'm in the middle of, I'll have to try it myself!

As Cape Cod Turns said...

I hope your hubby has some nice colored combs to keep in his back pocket. Of course, he should have a color back there to match with his outfit.
I jumped on the meme thing, come on over.

Kristen said...

Oh my, good luck with the hubby's hair.

When mine grew his beard in last year, he literally could not stop touching it. During church one day, I bet him he could not go 30 seconds, and sure enough, about 5 seconds later there he was touching it!!! AUGH!!

Hope you are able to destroy all of the combs, but then he might just use his hands?

Good luck with this one. At some point, your going to need to sneak a pic to post for us!!

Momisodes said...

LOL! A 12 pack? That's pretty hardcore ;) Too funny!

Anonymous said...

Funny hair...can we see a pic? Please!

KATE said...

Wow, I can't wait to buy tickets to his first "gig" ya know when he gets the band back together!
Woo Hoo!!

Great Meme!

Lizzy in the Burbs said...

This post made me LOL! My husband isn't like your husband (mostly because he's losing his hair!) but my youngest son, Brian, is absolutely obsessed with his hair, and spends so much time in front of the mirror, doing like you said, just combing and combing it, he cracks me up! I want to see that "band" when they get back together, too! :o) (Dude!)

Lizzy

Test said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cynthia said...

Holy creeped out by the Hoff!

Hey Chicky, let me know when you need a bloggy change...I'm up for the task!

Sass said...

He he. Minus the shiny blue skintight jeans.

Forget hiding the combs. You need to tell him wear to find his troosers.

Family Adventure said...

Too, too funny about your hubster. Where do they get it from??

Heidi

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Ok, I dodged your tag. I'm fast and twitchy like that...

I hear those words "I'm starting another band..." all the time. Except MY husband was in a band when I met him. Long hair, awesome original songs... Yeah. I fell for the singer. He still longs to be on stage....

Pixie said...

lol yes I'm sure he definetely was referring to his "high school marching band where he played the trombone" stomping around with his Fonz style and his 12 pack of comb set in his back pocket lol.. funny post :D

Marmarbug said...

Oh my GOD! I am laughing my butt off at the hair deal. I can see a bunch of older guys with poofy hair in a marching band tribute!
Men are goobers.

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

GET ME TICKETS!! ;-) Okay.. I'm kidding... lol

My 14 year old combs his hair like that... Hee!

Pregnantly Plump said...

That's so funny about the hair! I have read one of those books, "Bitter is the new Black." I got it at our library sale. It was pretty funny.

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

I hope your hubby realizes how lucky he is to have such a head of luscious locks. My hubby often says he has more hair than ever before, but it has just migrated south... to his neck, his chest, etc.

KEEP BELIEVING

Heather said...

That's a fun meme. No thought required on my part. I'll save it for the weekend. I love that picture of Shawn Cassidy. It brings back so many memories. He was my first true love, and I carried pictures of him in my wallet. Him and Leif Garret.

RJTrue said...

I just laughed my butt off!! That was hilarious because I can so see him doing that.

Can't wait for the band's big reunion!!

painted maypole said...

hey, trombones are big down here in the brass bands, in fact, I'm a big fan of the trombone band: Bonerama. But I don't think they'll let him in with that hair

Misty said...

I moved. I would love it if you would follow me over to:

www.mylesstraveledroad.blogspot.com

Love, Misty

Jennifer said...

lol. that is totally hilarious about your hubby!! :)

bringin' back the band!! lol maybe they will start a new show like that... instead of american idol it will be America... Brinin' Back the Bands!!! lol lol
very cool!
hugs,jenn

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Why do you want to know what DVD's Shmoops likes? :)

He really ejoys anything but comedy - like stupid goofy Adam SAndler kind of comedy really makes him chuckle. Honestly anything you MIGHT send would be so welcomed. He gets lonely being stuck on base and movies help pass the time.

Thanks for thinking about him. It means a lot...

Hallie :)

Lori said...

I like longer hair on a guy...kind of goes with that bad boy image! hee-hee!

Dana said...

hilarious pics... I love "the hoff." LOL

Kat said...

Okay, now I want to read that book!

Tara R. said...

The shiny blue pants are a must. Men are so much more prissy about their hair than most women. =)

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

You had me at the Hoff! Hilarious.

At least your hubby cares about his hair. Mine is so not into style!

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Ack! I almost swallowed my tongue when I saw the Hoff. Your hubby is hilarious. I have to keep explaining to my 13 year old son that comb marks in his hair are not cool. I am always making him shake out his hair after he has been 'stylin'. I am a bad mom.

Are you worried about the band thing? men.

Laski said...

So tonight was an interesting night. I was reading some of your comments to him and apparently Misty and Law Student Hot Mama gave him some new ideas. THANKS A LOT. Now he's gonna try for some 70's style sideburns and a funked out 80's hawk. Nice. Real nice.

Thanks for the awesome comments . . .

Lindsey said...

You've got to get a shirt that says, "I'm with the band."

You MUST. You MUST. Enjoyed this funny story!

Anonymous said...

I've got to see his hair! I know he probably won't allow you to post it online, but maybe you could sneak it!

BusyDad said...

Trombone guys are the coolest cats in town. Or at least I like to think so. Yeah, mom didn't let me play electric guitar. And the trombone was kind of like one, in that it... um made sounds?

Burgh Baby said...

Oh dear lord, my eyes! My eyes! Some of those images are permanently seared into my brain. I think I need to wash my eyes out with bleach!

Photo of the Week

Photo of the Week
Two Peas
Creative Commons License

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP