Sunday, January 20, 2008

A Roar for Powerful Words

I'm a little late with this one . . . I've been tagged by Beth, Wicked Flower Girl, for this meme. Here are the rules:


*Link back to the person who tagged you.
*List three things that you believe are necessary to make writing good and powerful.
*Tag five others and comment at their blog informing them that they’ve been tagged with this award

So, three things that make writing good and powerful.....

1. Truth: Write what you know and know what you write!

2. Clarity and Simplicity (kudos to WFG--I totally agree!): Make each word mean something. I used to tell students, pretend each word you use in an essay/paper costs a dollar. How much do you really want to spend? Don't ramble, don't use three words when one will do, don't use words to show off your expansive vocabulary when simple words will suffice (this isn't a Scrabble tournament).

3. SHOW vs Tell. Exciting, riveting writing recreates experiences and pulls the reader in. Use vibrant nouns and action verbs (don't just pepper your writing with adverbs and adjectives--too much can be word clutter).

BONUS. Practice, practice, practice! From writing blogs and composing e-mails to writing short stories and journaling, write and write a lot. Keep your skills and creativity active. Practice using correct grammar, playing with different styles, and revising previously written work.

I tag:
RJTrue at What a Girl's Got To Do
Kat at A Thoughtful Life
Allie at Allie's Musings
Stephanie at Manic Mommy
Aliki2006 at World of One Thousand Different Things

5 comments:

Beth is wfg said...

Thanks for playing along! I agree with everything you said...and especially your bonus answer. :)

Allie Boniface said...

Hey, I really like the idea of telling students each word in a paper costs $$ - makes them that much more aware of the ones they're choosing to "buy"!

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Ooh, thank you for tagging me. I usually don't do them all that much, but I'll list three things here that have gotten me through some rough writing times...

Not sure if they'll help anyone or not...

Talent.
Persistence.
Timing...

I have been living by the motto of TPT for a very long, long time now.

Thanks again for thinking of me for this tag!

Allie Boniface said...

I did this meme last week...but I might just do it again. There's a lot to be said for powerful writing.

Angela DeRossett said...

I made an award for you...it's at the end of my most current post. Hope you like it!

Photo of the Week

Photo of the Week
Two Peas
Creative Commons License

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP