Monday, September 22, 2008

Making History

I remember fighting with my siblings. The fights weren't knock down drag out brawls (at least not always--very seldom was blood involved), but they were most definitely hefty squabbles. Name-calling. Yup. A little LOUD conversation. Certainly. The whiny blame and shame game. Oh yeah. Did we run to the 'rents and beg that something horrible be done to the other sibling (dismemberment) as punishment for the horrific crime committed against us (changing the TV station and hiding the remote). You betcha.

But eventually the whining, yelling, ranting, bickering, screaming, blaming and intense display of emotion subsided. Apologies were exchanged (sometimes in the form of a simple nod and the handing over of an ice pack). And nearly everything else could be glued or mended back together in some way . . .

There were a few tears (the ones that accompany the constant stream of boogers and big gulps of air). There was comfort food (hello! Swedish Fish and chocolate chip mint ice cream). There was the ceremonial sharing of a precious/lovey/Fluffy.

All was right with the world.

Which brings me to . . . the elections. Wait. Stop. Stay . . . I promise that this is a very non-political, political post. Oh, and it's short.

You know, watching the election coverage, whether it be on an unbiased news network (I know, doesn't exist, but play along, k?) or on SNL (which was pretty funny, can't lie), the relationship between the candidates reminds me a bit of back home. The name calling. The bickering. The blaming. The whining. The bloodletting.

It can be frustrating. Even for this eternal optimist.

Hopefully, in the end the two candidates (dare I say, parties?) will come together. Apologies will be exchanged. Tears will fall. History will be made . . .

And that is cool.

Ice packs . . . Swedish Fish . . . and all.

30 comments:

painted maypole said...

oh my, you are an optimist

SuperCoolMom said...

True! Either way it goes this time, History Will Be Made! Kind of Cool! (But I still want my gal (and her boss) to win! LOL!)

Aracely said...

I don't know if Swedish Fish are a wise choice for the denture wearing candidate.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Yes, there is a lot of bickering.

Are You Serious! said...

♥ That SNL clip was so funny! :)

Lori said...

something tells me that is wishful thinking... I wish it was possible that they could all just get along, but I don't see it happening anytime soon

As Cape Cod Turns said...

I like that analogy.
And I thought SNL was funny!
Here's to the swedish fish, ice-cream and ice-packs!

Rachel Holloway said...

It's true, huh? I definitely am excited to see this history be made and see how things turn out when the dust settles~!

Cheffie-Mom said...

Well written and so positive. (:

Cheffie-Mom said...

Well written and so positive. (:

Aunt Julie said...

I agree with you. That's why I think Hot Tub Lizzy's candidacy is so cool! BTW, got a Great New Giveaway going on over at my place, to commemorate my 100th post--please stop by!

Anglophile Football Fanatic said...

Love your optimism, hon.

Stephanie said...

I wish we all had your optimism girl. You are better for it than me, that's for sure!

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA, I doubt they're ever going to kiss and make up but it's a nice thought. It's hard to take either candidate seriously when they drag personal matters into the campaign in an effort to slander the other party. Too bad the election can't be based on the candidates and their potential instead of their family situations.
SNL was funny as hell though.

Misty said...

I a secretive politician. I hate to debate.

But.

Sibling fights.

The last time I got in one of those I gave my sister a bloody nose. She hit me with a broom first.

And my brother's BEST defense.

His farts.

Wickid in ever sense of the word.

Wendy said...

Yes, but I would draw the line a sharing the chocolate mint ice cream!!!! Great post!

CC said...

we can only hope, 'eh?

Kristen said...

I too get so annoyed! Why oh why does making the other side sound like an idiot seem to be the way things are supposed to be.

I say put them both in a room till they work it out and then call is good! :)

Don't you love my ever so fabulous idea from this former history teacher? hee,heee

Anonymous said...

Come on, tell us how you really feel! I know your have opinions on this (I know the whole flaming moderate thing and all . . . ).

At least it is entertaining . . .

Unknown said...

I LOVE swedish fish. I just can't have 'em so much anymore. And yes, history will be made.

I have seen you around - or at least, your comments. Our 'lists' overlap in a couple of places. More than a couple.

I have really been trying to keep this ever-growing list of blogs to visit under control - but I can't help myself, you're getting added to the list.

I am getting the pattern from the bottom of my laptop cooked into my thighs.

KG said...

I unfortunately never grew up with siblings, so I missed out on all the sibling rivalry/love/hate relationships. It's one of the reasons why my husband and I (he's also an only child) want to have at least three kids. Anyway - that being said - I guess I can't relate the electioneering to sibling battles. I just sit back and watch the greatest reality TV show on earth and try not to projectile vomit when I see certain political candidates on the TV.

April said...

The Palin/Clinton SNL clip is one of the funniest things ever!
This a.m., I can hold out hope that my daughters will survive their sibling rivalry as they kissed each other goodbye. It's the little things.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I hate the bickering too. So much. I hardly watch TV right now, so great is my disdain for political ads.

I have the same hope as you... eternal optimists, both of us!

Momisodes said...

I love this post. However, I don't have high hopes for apologies. Swedish fish and mint chocolate chip? Man, we should have been neighbors growing up :)

Lindsey said...

I found SNL HYSTERICAL. Oh yes, I did! You are right about history being made. I am a bit tired of all the smearing though.

Anonymous said...

Well that is a nice dream, isn't it.
I love Swedish Fish.

Thanks for visiting my blog, I really appreciate it.

amanda said...

oh how i love your optimism.

fingers crossed friend :)

Unknown said...

We had one fight when I was younger and I was so angry that I actually kicked a hole in the wall!!

What a fabulously optimistic post!

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Kind of like with my kids, I just don't see it happening! lol

Wineplz said...

My fingers are crossed, too. I wonder how much better of a campaign either would be running if they weren't trying to first posture for the media before being more accountable to the American public.

Photo of the Week

Photo of the Week
Two Peas
Creative Commons License

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP